What Is Poison Oak?
Toxicodendron or better known as poison oak is something we at Eugene Urgent Care see a lot of in the warmer months. As more residents of Oregon begin to enjoy the summer and the hikes that come with it, poison oak becomes a very common affliction many patients seek out our services for. People who come into contact with poison ivy will develop a rash from the oil called urushiol. These rashes can appear and develop between 12 and 72 hours after contact with the oil. The rash does not spread and is not contagious. The rash may seem to spread, but this is just a delayed reaction to the urushiol.
What Does A Poison Oak Rash Look Like?
A rash will have varying appearances depending on the severity of each case and how someone’s body reacts to the contact. Have you come into contact with poison oak and now have a rash developing and need treatment to get your itching under control. Visit Eugene Urgent Care at one of our seven locations and allow us to assist you in your urgent care center treatment needs.
How Long Does A Poison Oak Rash Last?
Most people will see the rash disappear within a few weeks. Eugene Urgent Care can help during that time by providing treatment that helps by keeping the itching and irritability under control. These rashes are usually not considered serious, however if you have a serious reaction it is important to get medical attention immediately. One of the signs of a serious reaction is swelling, especially is that swelling makes your eye swell shut or face to swell in general.